Back on New Year’s Eve, we announced that we (Richard and I) were going to attempt to write a combined 1,000,000 words in 2021. I attempted it solo last year, and failed miserably. (Thanks pandemic!) We are almost halfway through our words!
Here’s an update of where we are right now.
- At the end of January, we were 50,755 words behind.
- At the end of February, we were 103,412 words behind.
- At the end of March, we were 168,395 words behind.
- At the end of April, we were 85,609 words behind.
- At the end of May, we were 158,227 words behind.
- At the end of June, we were 206,038 words behind.
- At the end of July, we were only 99,148 words behind! We made up a ton of ground over the month of July!
Although the writing retreat was pretty successful words-wise and we wrote a combined 73,500 words, we had to really push through the end of the month to make it to 100,000 words each, but we did it! The early part of July was not very conducive to writing, unfortunately.
So now we look ahead. Our hope for August is that we maintain our current position or get a little ahead. The same for September. November we’ll definitely close the gap with NaNoWriMo happening. And then we’ll finish strong in December. We want to get to the million words this year so we don’t have to do it again next year. (Because you know as competitive as we are, we’ll feel like we need to do it again.) But with the weak start we had, I’m really proud of where we are!